This is Beyond the Box Learning.
For our main page, please click on our logo above or you can access at BeyondTheBoxLearning.com.
Our teaching philosophy can be summed up in these 20+ essential ideas we believe are true about writing, in no particular order.
- All writing tells a story.
- All stories start small.
- Reading encourages writing.
- Stories are life.
- Stories explore our emotions and actions.
- Writing is thinking.
- Stories are metaphors for how we could live.
- People are stories. Stories are people.
- We must start where we are.
- Each writer is a hero in his/her own life.
- A hero has at least 2 (two) stories: an Emotional and an Action story arc.
- Writing encourages us to explore a big “Special World."
- Stories help us to succeed. Or, at least they help us to envision how we could succeed.
- Stories allow us to fail, reflect, and try again.
- Writing is an act of discovery.
- We must not be afraid of our own writing. We all must have the courage to write and be free to make mistakes and have fun.
- Writing is a way to express our voice, ideas, opinions, and imagination.
- The five (5) senses allow readers to enter your world: smell, sight, sound, taste, and touch.
- There are two kinds of writing: "worry" (story) and "proof" (essay). We use these two tools to pull our readers in.
- Be Specific! Provide colorful, vivid details, and action.
- Drawing and playing help us to think.
- There are many different ways to learn new skills: hands-on practice, visuals, listening, drawing, games, toys, speaking out, and acting/role playing.
- A teacher’s job is to inspire creative ideas, questions, and curiosity. Learning is a lifelong endeavor.
- Stories suggest that to have a fulfilling life, we must all take on being a mentor to someone.
- Writing reminds that unless we try and try again, we will never really know if we can do it. This applies to all that we do in life.
- Story helps us feel and remember and honor those that have gone before us.
- Story speaks across time and space.
- Writing is all about moving forward and revision.
- If life is a game, then...let’s play!
Visit our home page and our newsletter below!
For more information about us, please visit our "Our Story" page.
For any questions, please visit our Contact page.