Spring 2021 Classes
The following online classes are currently available for enrollment. Please note that we also teach small private classes that are not listed here. If the offerings below do not fit your schedule, feel free to email us, and perhaps we can find a class for your young writer.
To register, please send an email to RoydHatta@BeyondTheBoxLearning.com.
- The title of the course.
- Your child's name.
- Your child's age as of Sept 9th.
- A daytime phone number for us to reach you.
Either Writing Coach Shu-Hsien Ho or Royd Hatta will respond as soon as possible.
Becoming Story Detectives:
Introduction to Literary & Rhetorical Analysis Essays
For Students Ages 13-15 (9th & 10th Graders)
Taught by Writing Coach Royd Hatta
Beyond the Box Learning
Minimum 2 students, Maximum 8 students
Wednesdays, 10:00-11:15am PT, 75 minutes each
Spring: March 31 - May 26, 2021
(8 lessons, No Class Apr. 7)
Lessons via Zoom
Plus, up to 2 hours of 1:1 private session for essay review.
This course will show students the inner workings of a story through the eyes of a reader/detective.
In the Spring, we’ll deconstruct how editorial articles and speakers choose their words to persuade us. Rhetorical analysis develops our critical eye so that we understand how we are pulled towards arguments and influenced to consider their points.
Throughout the course, students will develop their critical thinking skills while learning concrete tools for writing persuasive essays in general, and analytical essays in particular. As always, we'll provide an essay structure and break down the thinking and writing into small steps.
Our readings will include following California Novel & Rhetorical Essays
Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston
- A memoir about a girl and her family's Japanese American Internment Camp experience at Manzanar during World War II.
Rhetorical Analysis: Scrutinizing highly impactful articles, speeches, short stories, and poems.
- George Orwell’s Politics and the English Language Essay
- New York Times Opinions & Essays
- Select pieces from the AP English Language & Composition Exam.
Writing assignments will include:
- Short journal entries
- response-to-literature paragraphs
- First draft essays & revisions
Advanced High School American Literature Courses
Open to Homeschooling Teens ages 15-18
Tuesdays, 3pm-4pm PST
Minimum 2 students, Maximum 8 students.
Spring 2021: Rhetorical Essay Analysis
Mar. 11 – May 20, 2021 (10 lessons)
- The Origin of Others by Toni Morrison (Selected Chapters)
- AP English Language & Comp Exam Prep