Dear Parents, Students, and Friends,
In honor of National Poetry Month and Earth Day, we're sending out a Call to Adventure:
Submit your poem
to our 2022 Poetry Contest!
Since we have students in many different states, we're accepting original, unpublished poems (online or in print) from writers ages 6-18 throughout the U.S. and Canada.
This year, our theme is
Call for Submissions: April 5 - July 1, 2022
Top entries will be announced by August 10th.
Poetry Readings will take place in September 2022.
We invite you to experiment with:
- imagery that captures a particular moment or place
- colorful, vivid, specific details
- distinct voices (silly, wacky, playful, solemn, wise)
- unexpected points of view
Maximum 1000 words.
Maximum 2 submissions per writer.
All poetic forms are welcome (free verse, rhyme, rap, etc.).
Please send poems to [email protected]
in the following format:
- 12pt font
- Times New Roman
- Formats Accepted: Word (doc, docx) & Google Docs
- Include at the top left corner of the first page:
- your full name
- your age as of May 20
- parent's name & email address
- parent's daytime phone number
We'll choose 3 poems from each age category and invite writers for a Poetry Reading Celebration, both on Zoom and in-person.
Poems will be published on our website, BeyondtheBoxLearning.com.
- Youth: ages 6-10
- Tweens: ages 11-13
- Teens: ages 14-18
Prizes: $25 gift card from Linden Tree Books for each of the 9 poets.
Please spread the word and share this contest with your community.
We can't wait to see your poems!
To your writing life,
Shu-Hsien Ho & Royd Hatta